This article provides a list of steps for proper field dressing of a wild turkey.
Turkey Field Dressing Steps:
- Place the turkey on its back on top of a large trash bag
- Locate the bottom tip of its breast bone.
- Locate the vent(anus) area.
- Make a 1/4 inch deep cut through the skin from the bottom tip of the breast bone downward to the vent.
- Try not to cut too deep as to cut the entrails.
- Separate the cut area large enough to insert your hand.
- Reach in and upwards and pull out the heart, lungs, and entrails.
- Cut around the vent in a circular motion to remove the intestines.
- Make a cut on the neck where the skin and feathers meet.
- Open up the cut and pull out the wind pipe, crop, and remaining intestines.
- Use a clean paper towel to wipe out all blood from the body cavity.
- Fill a Ziploc bag with ice and place inside body cavity to help with cooling.
- Sharp knife
- Large trash bag
- Rubber gloves
- Ziploc bag (gallon size)
- Clean paper towel